HISTORY OF ALPHA LODGE NO. 212
A dispensation was granted on November 2, l915, for forming a new Masonic Lodge in Everett, Washington. Ten Masons met on Saturday, November 6, under the sponsorship of Everett Lodge No. l37, for that purpose. They were Ambros E. Belew, John F. Beatty, Colin Campbell, Wesley N. Carter, Carl A. Erickson, William V. Fulton, Charles E. Lemon, Henry Salhinger, Edward F. Waddington and David B. Young. W.Bro. Campbell, Past Master of Penninsular Lodge No. 95 read the Dispensation from the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of F.& A.M. of Washington, over the signature of M.W.Bro. Robert L. Sebastian, Grand Master, and attested to by W.Bro. Homer W. Tyler, Grand Secretary. W.Bro. Campbell was appointed as the first Worshipful Master of Alpha Lodge No. 212. Bro. Erickson was appointed Senior Warden, and Bro. Fulton as Junior Warden. W.Bro. Campbell appointed Bro. Waddington Secretary, Bro. Salhinger Treasurer, Bro. Lemon Marshall, Bro. Beatty Senior Deacon, Bro. Young Junior Deacon, Bro. William C. Bickford Senior Steward, Bro. Belew Junior Steward and Bro. Carter Tyler. The first order of business was to adopt a set of by-laws, which included that the fees for the degrees be $50.00, with dues at $3.00 per year.
V.W.Bro. Paul W. Harvey, Past Grand Historian, wrote in “Not Made With Hands” and also in “Thy Sons Proclaim Thy Glorious Name” that W.Bro. Colin Campbell, first Master and principal founder of Alpha Lodge No. 212 wished to make plain the Lodge “was established upon the word of God, that it might give its members a new life of Light and Truth.” This information was given that author by our late devoted W.Bro. Edward O. Dorcy, who added that the inscription on the jewel cords of its officers bears the Greek words for the first verse of St. John’s Gospel: “In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God and the word was God.” Alpha, the first letter of the Greek alphabet therefore signified “the beginning of a new Lodge dedicated to God, and of a new life to those chosen to enter its portals.”
The first meeting and organization of Alpha was in the Old Masonic Temple, which was located on the southeast corner of Colby and Wall, in the city of Everett. There were 23 members in Alpha at the time the Dispensation was granted. The minutes of Jan. 15, l9l6, show Bro. Hans Mumm, Jr., as the first candidate raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason. On January 22, Everett Lodge l37 was the first visiting Lodge to confer a degree in Alpha.
The charter was granted on June 14, 1916.
The first Masonic funeral conducted by Alpha was for Bro. George Patterson on August 16th.
On October 18th the M.W. Grand Lodge of F.& A.M. in Washington met in the Masonic Temple for the purpose of dedicating and constituting Alpha Lodge No. 212. M.W.Bro. G. R. Malcom, Grand Master, with the assistance of 17 Grand Lodge officers, installed W.Bro. Campbell Master, Bro. Young Senior Warden, Bro. Waddington Junior Warden, Bro. Salhinger Treasurer, Bro. Duncan M. McCormick Secretary, Bro. Elbert E. Flint Chaplain, Bro. John A. Juleen Marshall, Bro. Lemon Senior Deacon, Bro. J. F. Calkins Junior Deacon, Bro. Arthur B. Dean Senior Steward, Bro. Lloyd L. Black Junior Steward, Bro. Charles H. Dougherty Tyler, and Bro. W. O. Bickford Organist.
At the Grand Lodge Communication in 1917, W.Bro. Colin Campbell was appointed to serve on the Credentials Committee.
On June 5, 1920, Alpha Lodge pledged its support to participate in the purchase of a new Masonic Temple.
The first notation of a meeting of the Masters & Wardens Club are in the minutes of November 5, 1921, hosted by the three Everett lodges, Peninsular 95, Everett 137 and Alpha 212, on Febraury 18, 1922.
The first out-of-town Lodge to confer a degree in Alpha was Olympia Lodge No. 1, on September 30, 1922, when they raised Bro. Benjamin P. Bangs to the Master Masons degree.
On June 16, 1923, the by-laws were amended changing Stated Communications from Saturdays to the first and third Wednesdays of each month at 7:30 PM. W.Bro. Benjamin R. Shary was Master that year, and was also appointed at Grand Lodge to serve as Grand Sword Bearer.
The tenth anniversary of Alpha Lodge and its “Homecoming Night” were jointly observed on November 4, 1925. M.W.Bro. Morton P. Gregory, Grand Master, and other Grand Lodge officers attended. The history of Alpha was given by W.Bro. Charles E. Lemon.
Several amendments were made to the by-laws over the years changing the times of Stated Communications. One of the last was on September 4, 1940, when the first and third Wednesdays stood, except Alpha would be dark in July and August and meet only the first Wednesday in June and December.
Due to considerable discussion regarding a new Masonic Temple, on December 1, 1926, dues were increased to $6.00 per year. On September 21, 1927, the Building Committee was empowered to negotiate for the purchase of lots at 26th and Colby, if, in their opinion, it was wise to do so. On October 19th a committee was appointed to investigate the advisability of moving to the Scottish Rite Temple at Wall and Oakes. The matter of a new meeting place came up again on December 27th. This was at a joint communication of the three Everett Lodges for a joint installation of officers. Members of all three Lodges expressed interest in securing the Knights of Columbus Hall by purchasing the mortgage lien held by one of the banks. This is the first record of any mention of an attempt to secure the building at the corner of Everett and Wetmore Avenues. The building committee consisted of W.Bro. Robert M. Meredith, W.Bro. Joe H. Porter and W.Bro. Thomas H. Gish.
The minutes of October 2, 1928 record the death of W.Bro. Colin Campbell. M.W. Bro. Thomas E. Skaggs, P.G.M., conducted graveside services.
On October 3rd a resolution was adopted for the purchase the building at the corner of Everett and Wetmore jointly with Peninsular 95 and Everett 137. W.Bro. Robert M. Meredith was the first trustee of Alpha Lodge in the Everett Masonic Corporation Temple Board. On December 19th he was joined by W.Bro. Thomas H. Gish and Bro. Clifford Newton. On April 17, 1929 W.Bro. Gish presented a resolution which provided for a sinking fund, out of dues, to be used by the Temple Board to retire bonded indebtedness. This fund was to be created by the contribution of $1.50 per member, and to take effect January 1, 1930. On June 5, 1929 the dues were increased to $7.50 per year.
After serving as secretary for 8 years, W.Bro. Harold B. King was installed as Master in 1930.
On March 5, 1930, a resolution was adopted to hold all future communications in the Masonic Temple at the corner of Everett and Wetmore, the first to be held March 19th. Membership increased by 25 in 1930 for a total of 271 members.
The Grand Master appointed Alpha’s then current Master, W.Bro. Harold B. King to serve on the Grand Lodge Charity Committee.
The by-laws were amended July 1, l931 increasing dues to $10.00 per year. On December 2, l932 a resolution was adopted providing for the contribution of 10 cents per member to the Master Masons Club for the maintenance of the Masonic Park at Granite Falls.
The hard times brought on by the depression began to take their toll. The by-laws were amended on April 20, 1932 lowering the degree fees from $75.00 to $50.00. This was the original amount in 1915 and had been increased on March 20, 1920. Strong representations were made to the Grand Lodge to discontinue the requirements of $20.00 and $10.00 contributions of petitioners for the Masonic Home. The Grand Lodge was also urged to discontinue for one year the 75 cents annual dues to the Grand Lodge general fund. The annual report of 1934 showed a continuing loss of membership from a high of 271 in 1930 to a new low of 228 members.
It is interesting to note that on February 6, l935, Bro. G. Hart Johnson, father, and his two sons, Vernon L. Johnson and Lawrence H. Johnson were all raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason. This was the year the Grand Lodge decreed that all Worshipful Masters would be entrusted with the standard work.
Alpha’s first visit to a Canadian Lodge was recorded May 13, 1936. Several brethren visited Southern Cross Lodge No. 44 in Vancouver, British Columbia. They returned the visit on September 26 and demonstrated the M.M. degree.
At the Grand Lodge Communication of 1936, W.Bro. Ray Roberson, then Master of Alpha, was appointed Grand Standard Bearer. W.Bro. John L. Sugars, on December 2, l936, after having served as Secretary for six years, was elected as Worshipful Master. W.Bro. Harold B. King was again elected Secretary and served until 1942 when W.Bro. Sugars was again elected to that office.
The minutes of May 18, l938 note that all brethren in attendance wrote a note to W.Bro. Harold B. King, who was then in the Veterans Hospital in Portland, Oregon and seriously ill. These notes were to be delivered by Everett’s first direct Air Mail Service from Paine Field and in celebration of the 50th anniversary of mail service in Everett.
The first notice of the Traveling Trowel was recorded in the minutes of October 16, 1940, when W.Bro. J. L. French, of Everett 137, presented it to W.Bro. Robert J. Dickson, Master of Alpha Lodge.
A very special communication was held on November 13, 1940, to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the instituting of Alpha Lodge. Over 300 were in attendance representing 47 Lodges of many jurisdictions. A history of Alpha Lodge was given by W.Bro. David B. Young, one of the original petitioners. M.W.Bro. Matthew W. Hill, Grand Master, was the speaker. This was the night for honoring the Past Masters and also all Charter Members in attendance. Charter Members present were W.Bro. Young, W.Bro. Charles E. Lemon and Bros. John F. Beatty, Wesley M. Carter, Edward F. Waddingham and Joseph H. Smith, M.W.Bro. Charles P. Kirtland was Master of Ceremonies.
The first cornerstone laying recorded is in the minutes of November 29, 1941, for the Baptist Chapel in Everett. M.W.Bro. John A. Emigh, Grand Master, officiated.
In 1943, the Grand Master appointed W.Bro. James L. Richards to serve on the Grand Lodge Charity Committee.
December 6, 1944, was the date the by-laws were amended increasing degree fees to $70.00. The year showed a gain of 30 members. In 1945 there were several special communications during the summer months for degree work with a gain of 49 members and a new high of 396.
On May 1, 1946, the purchase of an Alter Bible was authorized upon the recommendation of W.Bro. Merritt H. Rodda and Bro. C. E. Ridgeway, who had been appointed to secure such a Bible. It was stipulated that the Bible be lettered in gold and that a protective coating of plastic be applied. This Bible is still used each year on Past Masters Night in a Signing the Bible ritual. The Worshipful Master has the Immediate Past Master sign it.
On June 5, $2,000 was contributed to the Sinking Fund of the Everett Masonic Corporation. 1946 showed a gain of 34 members for a total of 430.
Alpha Lodge minutes of February 19, 1947 show that the Lodge informed the Grand Lodge that they opposed a proposed resolution which would provide for the credit of 12 years dues by paying 10 years in advance. The reason given was that, in their opinion, the proposal was discriminatory.
At Grand Lodge, W.Bro. John H. Harrison was appointed to the Masonic Research and Education Committee.
W.Bro. Harold B. King was present on November 19th at Past Masters Night. It was his first attendance for a long time, due to poor health, and was destined to be the last, for on March 2, 1948, he passed away after an extended illness.
Alpha concurred on March 17th in the recommendation of the Temple Board that the capitalization of the Everett Masonic Corporation be increased from $27,000.00 to $120,000.00. This increase of $93,000.00 would be equally divided among the three Everett Lodges. On September 1st a resolution was adopted naming Bro. Harry L. Fowler, S.W. of Alpha as its legal representative to the meeting of the shareholders of the corporation with full power to vote all the stock held by Alpha. This was for the purpose of amending the Articles of Incorporation to increase the capital stock to $120,000.00 at $100.00 per share.
A tradition was established on October 6, 1948, when Worshipful Master Ralph W. McKerracher presented a briefcase to Edmonds Lodge No.š165. He presented it to W.Bro. Fremont A. Case, Master of Edmonds 165 as a token of the Brotherly Love and Friendship that existed between the two Lodges. A symbolic presentation was made each year, for many years, of this same briefcase by the newly elected Master of Alpha to the newly elected Master of Edmonds 165. In 1971 the Lodges were redistricted by the Grand Lodge, moving Edmonds Lodge to District 32. This caused a conflict with District Installations for 1973, and in order to attend the installations in District 8, Master-elect E. Benson Glasgow of Alpha designated the immediate Past Master to perform this pleasant duty. W.Bro. Engevald Lervold presented the briefcase to Master-elect Horst Neuhaus.
On March 2, l949, W.Bro. Harry L. Fowler signed a note for $31,000.00 for the purchase of Certificate No.4 of stock in the Everett Masonic Corporation, representing 310 shares at $100.00 each.
At a Special Communication of July 6, 1949, W.Bro. Charles E. Lemon, a charter member and Past Master was presented with the first 50 year pin and certificate in Alpha by V.W.Bro. Walter T. Higgins, District 8 Deputy, on behalf of the Grand Master. W.Bro. Lemon was raised on March 15, 1898 in Illinois Lodge 263 A.F. & A.M. of Peoria, Illinois.
The first notation of the Annual Shrine Football Game was recorded in the minutes of October 5, l949.
W.Bro. C.E.(“Gym”) Ridgeway as Chairman of the Education and Research Committee of Alpha is noted to have contributed much to Masonic Education during this period. He took great pleasure in conferring degrees, and on one occasion, he made the announcement that he had just conferred his seventy fifth degree.
November 9th was the first payment on the $31,000.00 Note, made from the proceeds of a dance under the chairmanship of Bro. E. Parker Gallaspy, for $325.00. An additional payment was made by Alpha on December 7th of $2,000.00.
On June 7, 1950 Alpha increased the fee for degrees to $105.00, and the dues to $12.00. $50.00 of the fees and $6.00 of the dues were to be set aside for paying off the $31,000.00 note.
The Grand Master appointed Alpha’s current Master, W.Bro. William A. Kellogg to serve on the Grand Lodge Obituaries Committee.
New officers’ jewels and aprons were ordered on Nov. 15th.
The minutes of February 7, 1951 include a directive from M.W.Bro. Gail Huhn, G.M., that all lodges exercise extreme caution when investigating new petitions. He warned against the infiltration of communists into our lodges.
W.Bro. Edward O. Dorcy first conducted a Masonic Funeral on February 8, for Bro. Judson S. Whelan of Mondon Lodge 252, F.& A.M., of Mondon, Wisconsin.
The present custom of honoring our departed Past Masters was first used on November 14th, although Past Masters Night appears to have been observed since the Lodge was instituted. The Chaplain escorted by the Marshall and supported by the Deacons and Stewards, placed a white wreath of flowers on the altar in tribute and memory. This is now changed slightly, the wreath being placed on a small stand next to the altar.
First mention of Alpha members donating blood for a needy Brother is recorded January 16, 1952. Bro. Archie Jones received blood from Bros. Edward O. Dorcy, Jay Hunter, Edward Bean, Kenneth Keeler and Rex D. Rowland.
At the Grand Lodge of 1952, Bro. Byron H. Bratt, not yet Master of the Lodge, was appointed to serve on the Returns and Work of Lodges Committee.
February 6th records a payment of $3690 on the $31,000 note.
On July 11, 1953, the ten lodges of District 8 met at Centennial Lodge 25, in the city of Snohomish, to form a Symbolic Lodge Officers Council for the purpose of promoting Masonry in Snohomish County and improving communications among the lodges. Bro. Jim Hart was elected president and Bro. E. Parker Gallaspy served as acting secretary.
On May 5, 1954, $1500 was allocated for floor covering for the west lodge room. A resolution was passed on June 2nd to open a savings account of $7500, providing for the earnings to be placed in the fraternal assistance fund.
At the Grand Lodge Communication, Alpha’s current Master, W.Bro. A.J. “Dolph” Rae was appointed to the Charities and New Lodges Committee.
On October 6th, M.W.Bro. Ronald W. Meier and M.W.Bro. Walter T. Higgins were both elected to honorary membership in Alpha Lodge.
January 19,1955, W.Bro. A. J. “Dolph” Rae made a presentation of some jewelry to Alpha on behalf of W.Bro. Alec D. Campbell.
A motion passed on March 7, 1956 authorizing the Secretary to draw a check for $323.89 to make the final payment on the $31,000.00 note held by the Everett Masonic Corporation. Special tribute was paid to W.Bro. A. J. Rae for the contribution he made in the early retirement of this debt negotiated in 1949. He had served as Master in 1954, over 8 years as Secretary; he later served ten years on the Temple Board; and served the Grand Lodge on the Committee on Representatives Expenses from 1955 to 1958.
At the Grand Lodge Communication of 1956, W.Bro. Edward O. Dorcy, while still Master of Alpha Lodge, was appointed to serve on the Masonic Charity Committee. W.Bro. A. J. “Dolph” Rae was appointed to the Representative Expenses Committee.
A special communication was held jointly with all the lodges in District 8 to honor M.W.Bro. Walter T. Higgins, who had served more than 20 years in Masonry.
On December 28, 1956, W.Bro. Edward O. Dorcy was elected secretary. After serving as Worshipful Master in 1956, W.Bro. Dorcy served faithfully with dedication and distinction as secretary for 15 years.
The membership, December 31, 1956, of 556 has remained the all time high to this day.
At the Grand Lodge Communication of 1957, W.Bro. E. Parker Gallaspy was appointed Grand Standard Bearer.
The minutes of September 3, 1958, show that V.W.Bro. E. Parker Gallaspy had been appointed as Deputy of the Grand Master in District 8 by M.W.Bro. Walter T. Higgins. He is the first member of Alpha so honored. He served the usual two year term. The Grand Lodge proceedings of 1960 show that a certificate of proficiency (#526) was issued to W.Bro. Edward O. Dorcy for three years, having been examined by V.W.Bro. E. Parker Gallaspy.
Since 1950, Alpha Lodge and Wallingford Lodge 267 in Seattle have enjoyed yearly exchange visits. These visits were initiated by Bro. Prior T. Stallings of Wallingford. Alpha made their annual visit to Wallingford on October 7, 1958, and Worshipful Master John A. Hyry of Wallingford presented a Traveling Bible to Worshipful Master Jack Butters of Alpha, with an inscription inserted by W.Bro. Hyry noting that the presentation was to “exemplify our Masonic Creed of Brotherly Love in our annual visitations.” W.Bro. Butters signed first, followed by W.Bro. Hyry. The custom of hosting Wallingford Lodge in April , and of visiting Wallingford in the autumn continued for many years until 1993, when Wallingford merged with University Lodge. They always served clam chowder at the repast table, and Alpha served oyster stew. To commemorate these historic occasions, the Traveling Bible was always brought by the visitors, signed by the presiding master, and left with the host.
For many years, prior to 1958, Alpha had sponsored a Halloween Dance in the temple. But interest in this event was declining, so Worshipful Master Jack Butters substituted a Ladies Night event, which has been very successful since that time. The Brothers, their ladies, and the widows of Alpha Lodge gather for a banquet followed by a program of special interest.
M.W.Bro. Morton Gregory, P.G.M. was elected an honorary member on January 7, 1959.
On November 1st a motion was passed to contribute 15 cents per member toward the establishment of a Masonic Hospitality Lounge at the Worlds Fair in Seattle.
At the Grand Lodge Communication of 1960, W.Bro. Henry S. Stratton, then Master of Alpha Lodge, was appointed to serve on the Unfinished Business Committee.
Alpha sponsored a cornerstone laying for the second time October 1, 1961 at the Lake Stevens Junior High School.
Birthday night was born in Alpha on January 17, 1962. The Marshall called the names of brothers with January birthdays, had them seated together and on behalf of the Master and the Lodge, greeted them and presented each with a gift. The Lodge was called up and sang “Happy Birthday”. This custom is observed each quarter.
On November 7th a beautifully jeweled Past Master’s watch was presented to Worshipful Master Orrie G. Swartz by Bro. John Ray and 15 other Masons from Seattle with the compliments of the Seattle Waterfront Workers.
Alpha visited Damascus Lodge 199 at Granite Falls May 8, 1963 and presented them with a Standing Square as a symbol of the long standing friendship between our lodges.
The first recorded visit to Joppa Lodge 112 A.F.š& A.M. in White Rock, British Columbia is in the minutes of November 20th. The visit was returned by W.M. Blake E. Morrow and others for Alpha’s installation. A 50 year pin and certificate was presented to Bro. Oscar Sargent Duncan by M.W.Bro. Morton Gregory, P.G.M. This interesting visitation custom has continued to this day. Alpha Masons enjoy dinner with their Canadian brethren and attend their Installation of Officers, late in September of each year, and a few months later, Joppa does the same at Alpha. As with Wallingford, a Traveling Bible is always brought by the visitors, signed by the presiding master, and left with the host.
On April 15, 1964 Bro. B. Cole Ellis was escorted to the alter where Bro. J. Howard Vognild presented him with a Level, the Senior Warden’s jewel to be passed on to each succeeding senior warden. Bro. David Volkman had previously presented a Square, the Master’s jewel, to passed on.
The Past Master’s Album was first presented on Past Master’s Night, May 13, 1964. The albums contain the pictures and names of all Alpha, Affiliated and Honorary Past Masters from dispensation to date, and are updated each year with inserts.
May 19, 1965, a motion passed that Alpha loan $15,000 to the Everett Masonic Corporation to assist in the purchase of the property on the North side of the Temple, which sustains rental property.
On January 19, 1966 W.Bro. B. Cole Ellis presented Bro. Curtis Fletcher with a Plumb, the Junior Warden’s jewel, to be passed on. This is done with the jewels of the three principal officers at each installation. This last jewel was a gift to the Lodge from W.Bro. B. Cole Ellis and W.Bro. J. Howard Vognild, Master.
On April 6th Bro. David Volkman, Senior Warden of Robert Newell Lodge 96 of Lewiston, Idaho presented to Alpha on behalf of his Worshipful Master and Lodge a beautifully engraved Trowel as a token of friendship. W.M. Vognild graciously accepted the Trowel, called up the Lodge and accorded him the Public Grand Honors.
Alpha hosted a joint special communication on May 31st of the three Everett Lodges for the purpose of honoring Old-Timer members.
W.M. Vognild announced on September 21st that W.Bro. Edward O. Dorcy had been appointed to the Grand Lodge Committee on Grievances and Appeals by Grand Master E. Haskell Johns.
On October 1st, Worshipful Master J. Howard Vognild called a Special Communication to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Alpha Lodge. Ten Worshipful Masters were present, three District Deputies, four Past Grand Masters, two appointive Grand Lodge officers, and all elective Grand Lodge officers. The history of Alpha from 1915 to 1966, compiled by the Master, was summarized by W.Bro. A. J. Rae. It was then voted to be made a part to the minutes and laid up in the archives as a permanent record of Alpha Lodge. A beautiful blue and gold commemorative program was prepared by the Anniversary Committee. The Lodge was closed in ample form by M.W.Bro. E. Haskell Johns with S.G.W.Robert L. Gilmore in the West and J.G.W.Frank E. Ulin in the South.
In 1967 a motion passed that Alpha with Everett 137 purchase the contract on the property on the North side of the Temple.
The first Junior Achievement Awards Program in observance of Public Schools Week was held on April 26th in the Temple, sponsored by the three Everett Lodges and chaired by Worshipful Master Ivan Franzen. It was an annual event honoring students in their junior year of Cascade, Everett and Mariner High Schools, and has since been expanded to include other newer high schools in the area.
Alpha visited Joppa Lodge 112th on February 22, 1968 and presented them with an American flag. During this term of W.Bro. Curtis D. Fletcher, a room was furnished at the Masonic Home at Zenith by Alpha. W.Bro. Joseph Reeves was presented with a 50 year pin and certificate at Past Masters Night by R.W.Bro. Robert L. Gilmore.
On Sunday, November 9, 1969, W.M. Elmer Lofstrom and 60 other Master Masons dressed as such attended services at the First Baptist Church.
On March 21, 1970 Worshipful Master Robert E. Miller, Sr. held a special communication to honor V.W.Bro. Fred G. Topp District 8 Deputy of the Grand Master. M.W.Bro. Frank E. Ulin, Grand Master and many Grand Lodge officers attended. On April 15th Bro. Paul L. Kinsch was awarded his 50 year pin and certificate by M.W.Bro. Walter T. Higgins, Past Grand Master. On May 6th Bro. Walter Lee James received his 50 year pin and certificate from W.Bro. Miller.
The dues were increased to $15.00 per year on September 2nd. On September 16th M.W.Bro. Robert L. Gilmore was elected an honorary member. Fifty year pins and certificates were presented on October 21st to W.Bro. Thomas H. Gish, W.Bro. Clarence E. Ridgeway and Bro. Phil B. McIntire, all by R.W.Bro. Thomas H. Craig, Junior Grand Warden. Fifty year pins and certificates were presented on December 2nd to Bros. Arthur H. Gunderson and James Shuttera, by M.W.Bro. Walter T. Higgins, Past Grand Master.
On September 24th, a group of brethren from Alpha Lodge attended the installation of officers at Joppa Lodge No.112 in White Rock, British Columbia, and W.Bro. J. Howard Vognild presented them with a set of officers lapel pins for their master, senior and junior wardens. Since that time, each year these officers pass the pins down to their respective successors.
At the installation of W.Bro. Leon Stock as Worshipful Master for 1971, a large crowd from Joppa 112 was present and Bro. Morris Dudaleck presented Alpha Lodge with four beautiful door knockers. M.W.Bro. Robert L. Gilmore conducted his first installation of Alpha Lodge officers.
November 17, 1971 Bro. Alva E. Daily was presented his 50 year pin and certificate at his home by V.W.Bro. E. Parker Gallaspy, accompanied Bros. Bill Gikas, Engevald Lervold, Henry F. T. Monteiro and W.Bro. Edward O. Dorcy.
Alpha voted on January 19, 1972 to increase its per capita tax for maintenance and operations of the temple from $2.50 to $4.00 per year per member.
W.Bro. Edward O. Dorcy passed away suddenly on March 30th. He had served as Secretary since l957 and for many years was considered one of the finest Secretaries in the Grand Jurisdiction. Worshipful Master Engevald Lervold recalls this as his darkest hour. He appointed W.Bro. M. Al Hamman as acting Secretary until an election was held, at which time W.Bro. Hamman was elected.
October 4th V.W.Bro. Erwin T. Buhre, District 8 Deputy brought a message from the Grand Master, M.W.Bro. Bill P. Horn regarding forming a Table Lodge and also the issuance of widows’ cards to widows of Alpha members. The Lodge voted on November 15th to purchase new collars for the three principal officers.
At the Grand Lodge Communication in June of 1976, W.Bro. B. Cole Ellis was appointed and served two years as Deputy of the Grand Master in District 8.
At the Grand Lodge Communication of 1977, W.Bro. Walter P. Young was appointed to the By-Laws Committee.
At the Grand Lodge Communication in June of 1978, W.Bro. Peter B. Rude was appointed Senior Grand Deacon.
W.Bro. Donald M. Austin was appointed as Chairman of the Grand Lodge Charity Committee in 1979. W.Bro. Peter B. Rude was appointed to the Masonic Research and Education Committee.
When W.Bro. Gordon D. Garnhart served as master in 1980, he reinstated the use of a mailed Trestle Board to keep the membership informed of lodge activities. It was well received by the brethren.
In 1981, the Grand Master appointed W.Bro. Henry F.T. Monteiro to the Grand Lodge Youth Committee. W.Bro. Peter B. Rude was appointed to the Credentials Committee. At the Grand Lodge Communication in June of 1982, W.Bro. Peter B. Rude was appointed Deputy of the Grand Master in District 8, and served the customary two years.
In 1984, the Grand Master appointed W.Bro. Donald M. Austin to serve on the By-Laws Committee. In that same year, W.Bro. James H. Ferrall was appointed to the Fraternal Relations Committee.
In June of 1985, W.Bro. Donald M. Austin was appointed Senior Grand Steward. V.W.Bro. B. Cole Ellis was appointed Chairman of the Grand Lodge Masonic Fraternal Relations Committee.
In 1986, V.W.Bro. Donald M. Austin began a two year term as Deputy of the Grand Master in District 8. V.W.Bro. B. Cole Ellis was appointed to serve on the Grand Lodge Constitutional Observance Committee. Also in late August of that same year, the District 8 Symbolic Lodge Officers Council, in an attempt to make the public more aware Masonry, had a booth at the Evergreen State Fair in Monroe. On each of the 10 days of the fair, the booth was staffed by one of the lodges of the district. Alpha drew the last Sunday, the day before the closing of the fair. Considerable interest was generated, and the activity has become an annual event.
In 1987, V.W.Bro. B. Cole Ellis was appointed Grand Sword Bearer. In 1989, V.W.Bro. Austin served as Grand Historian.
In 1988, the Grand Master appointed V.W.Bro. Donald M. Austin to serve on the Masonic Home Endowment Committee. That same year, V.W.Bro. B. Cole Ellis was appointed to serve on the Grand Lodge Centennial Observance Committee.
In 1990, V.W.Bro. Donald M. Austin took on the responsibility of Chairing the Grand Lodge Masonic Float Committee. V.W.Bro. B. Cole Ellis also served on that committee.
The temple at the northwest corner of Everett and Wetmore Avenues that Alpha 212, Everett 137, and Peninsula 95 lodges had jointly owned for nearly 64 years was a large imposing and dignified looking structure. It was the scene of many cherished memories of Masonic advancement, learning and fellowship. The Temple Board did a yeoman job, over the years, to meet expenses through rental to a variety of organizations, including various concordant bodies, a dance studio, Weight Watchers, Prince Hall Masons, wedding receptions and rummage sales. But the decline of membership in the 1970’s and 1980’s, together with a steady rise in utility and maintenance costs made it increasingly difficult to properly care for and utilize the facility. So in August of 1992, with heavy hearts and much sadness, the Temple Board sold the building to a major restaurant promoter.
For the first time in 64 years, Alpha was without a “home”. During the intervening months, they met in the Marysville temple of Crystal Lodge 122. Alpha Lodge was in a very strong financial position; Everett Lodge was in a strong position also; but Peninsula Lodge had been struggling for some years. As a result, a dominant view developed within the Peninsula membership to withdraw from the partnership. The beautiful antique alter and lecterns for the East, West and South were originally the property of Peninsula 95, so Alpha and Everett were left without these essential items of furniture. W.Bro. Herbert L. Hauglie, being skilled in wood working and finishing, filled that need very handsomely by hand crafting replacement furniture.
Alpha and Everett decided to remain together, and jointly sought a new place to meet. Many locations were considered, and in July of 1993 they finally selected the View Ridge Plaza building at 234 Olympic Boulevard. A contractor was hired for the major remodeling tasks, but there were many hundreds of hours of volunteer labor contributed by the brethren of both lodges. Finally, in February of 1994, the first meetings were held in the new location. The decorating, the utilities, the lighting, the sound system, and the kitchen facilities all came together beautifully. But more importantly, it brought a new feeling of enthusiasm into The Craft in the city of Everett, and a higher level of communication between the lodges, and with those in the concordant bodies.
In June of 1995, in an attempt to make Masonry more appealing to potential candidates, the Grand Lodge of Washington authorized an alternate profficiency for the three degrees which greatly reduced the memory requirements, but at the same time imparting more useful knowledge to the candidate through written answers to a series of questions. Although the new program was presented as an optional alternative to the traditional posting lecture, it was quickly adopted by Alpha Lodge, with very positive results.
On September 28, 1995, on the occasion of Alpha’s regular annual visit to Joppa Lodge 112 in White Rock, B.C., Worshipful Master Gordon D. Garnhart was invited to participate in their installation ceremony by installing W.Bro. Judd Canfield as Director of Ceremonies. W.Bro. Garnhart was serving his second term as master of Alpha lodge. He first served in 1980. This was the first time that a brother served more than one year since the original master, W.Bro. Colin Campbell, served in 1915, 1916, 1917 and 1919. Although W.Bro. Garnhart accepted the office with some reluctance, he soon found that he thoroughly enjoyed the experience. W.Bro. Patrick T.Marlatt followed his example by serving in 1996, 1997 and 2001. Then W.Bro. David W. Jacobs, who had served originally in 1994, repeated in 1998.
On March 25, 1996, W.Bro. Garnhart delivered a 60 year pin to Bro. Lawrence Johnston at his home in Rowland Hills, California. Bro. Johnston was suffering from Lou Gehrig’s disease, and died just a few weeks later.
Early in 1997, in an effort to increase the visibility of Masonry in the community, Worshipful Master Patrick T.Marlatt formed a Public Relations committee. At the urging of the committee, Alpha Lodge, in May of 1997, joined the Everett Chamber of Commerce. A series of public forums were instituted, each covering a topic of current local interest. Response was limited, primarily because publicity was found to be difficult to achieve through the local newspaper.
It was proposed by W.Bro. Garnhart that visibility to the public might be improved with a series of spot advertisements in the Herald. The ads were small but displayed the Masonic emblem and contained a thought provoking phrase along with the secretary’s telephone number. But response was very disappointing and the program was discontinued after about a year.
In the year 2000, Bro. Edward F. Boress volunteered his expertise to establish a website for Alpha Lodge. He did an excellent job, and it has been a useful tool in keeping many members informed of lodge activities and news.
A special effort has been made to hit the highlights of Alpha’s history. Space will not permit the recognition due many dedicated members of Alpha. But here, for certain, is evidence of Masons working for the good of humanity, and of many incidents that are tokens of Brotherly Love and Friendship.